There are a lot of misconceptions about the Blue Whale Challenge. Some are calling it the latest threat to our kids while others are saying it’s being blown out of proportion. The short video below unpacks some of the facts that I’ve discovered as I look deeper into this trending topic.
- Kids ARE hurting themselves because of this the Blue Whale Challenge
- There have been zero (0) confirmed suicides resulting from the Blue Whale Challenge.
- Authorities are concerned we are going to turn this into something because of the popularity we’re giving it.
- There are steps you can take and you should take them now.
What Parents Should Know
There are always reasons to take a trend like this seriously. We, as parents should be vigilant to keep an eye on what our kids are doing online while not allowing the trendiness of a topic like the Blue Whale Challenge cause us to inflate it into even more of an issue. Be wise and take the steps you know to take to keep your kids safe online.
- Know who they talk to online.
- Follow them on your social media accounts.
- Have their login information for EVERY social media account they have.
- Keep an eye out for the signs of depression or other struggles.
- Talk to your children openly about the dangers of buying into these trends and communicating with people you don’t know.